Thursday, September 25, 2008

Eyes are Precious!!! But so is Profession ...

Hit the clinic today for an eye check-up. Thank God for bringing in all these ISO Certifications, coz hospital scenarios have improved tremendously in India !! Dressed like a failing pop-star (read: in white), I braved my way through the crowd waiting for their ocular mending. Was lucky enough to get a quick appointment with the doctor with whose conversation,some part I would like to share:
Doc: So U complain of itching and watering?? (Psst...psst...sounded more like I had some strange boils bursting all over mu body..)
Me: In eyes..
Doc: Ahh..yes, of course..What do you do?
Me: nothing !!! (pah...my dumb mind) they just start irritating me when I wake aa..
Doc: (cutting my words) They r ur eyes...How can u accuse them of irritating U?
(By Now, I was sure that the Doc had a really pathetic breakfast or row with wife in morning today, that he is leaving no stone unturned to irritate his patients even more.)
Me:(displaying more patience) Yes Doctor..But I cant really get along the whole day well if the morning starts such.
Doc: (testing my eyes) hmmmm....lets see...What do u work as?
Me: Software Engiii.....
Doc: (again cutting my words) There lies the problem, my lady! Ur job is the culprit !! Leave it....and U shall not suffer anymore !!
(While the Doctor was dancing around like an Oracle having just delivered a prophecy, I couldn't believe my ears on what he was saying.)
Me: Doc, U dont understand...its my profession. Don't know what will I do without it.
Doc: What will you do without your eyes lady? Blindly, bang on your computer? Tell me tell me tell me....
(I realised at this precise moment that the Doc had no particular liking towards people of my race, the I.T. race. So it was time now to race out of his room before he would pull out my eyes for their safety.)
Me: Give me medicines Doc. I promise to use them without fail and take frequent breaks while at work. (Now thats something nobody ever needs to tell me to :D )
Doc: I shall do that...Its my job. But I see one more young girl falling prey to vision blurs for not heeding my words.It wouuuu...
Me: (cutting his words, surprise!) Doc, please...Lemme go..I got to get back to work..And its far. Will come back to u if problem persists.

He didnt say a word more..Got my state, I guess.Prescription given, I am out.

Out wondering, what good am I doing to myself with this profession? Ironically, losing my vision not to see the crisis that world is plunging into, day after day. But it really isn't worth it, is it?

No comments: